12.01.2011

What *am* I Doing???

If you've known me very long, you know that I have been one of those "I don't run" people. (I am not claiming to be a runner now either) I have attempted to run in the past, but due to knee problems and undiagnosed asthma triggers it just plain sucked. I never could understand how people would do this for FUN!

I have since met a wonderful orthopedist who ordered an x-ray view that none of the dozens of other doctors I had seen (since I was a toddler) ever did. Turns out the muscles on the outside of my legs are tighter than on the inside. Some simple stretches and exercises and the problem is FINALLY resolved. I've also figured out what triggers my asthma which makes it infinitely easier to breathe and exercise at the same time. Those two things have made a measurable differance in my life.

Since then I have become more physical. I took a self defense class for a couple of years then switched to an MMA class about a year and a half ago. I only train once a week. I'd love to go more often, but it is just a logistical impossibility right now. What I have noticed is that as I progress in rank, I am getting frustrated with the physical limitations of my own body. I decided to challenge myself to get stronger, faster and more flexible.

First, I started the 100 Push-ups challenge. I always struggle with them in class and one night I decided I wasn't going to let them defeat me. I could do 11 when I started. Tonight I did a total of 245 and maxed out at 55. Saturday I will do the final test. I don't know if I will do the 100, but if I don't I will go back to week 4 or 5 and try again!

As I got to about week 4, I noticed that the push-ups were starting to hurt my back. I added the 200 sit-ups challenge to increase core strength. I started out with 35. Today I did 261 and maxed out at 67. One more week before that final exam!

How I decided to do the Couch to 5K is anyone's guess. I was feeling tired, sluggish and blah. I wasn't happy with how I felt and how I felt about my body. I downloaded to app. from www.rundouble.com. As some of my friends suggested, I set a goal for myself. I needed a 5k to train for. After a bit of searching, I decided on the WPLR Shamrock & Roll. I figure half of the participants will probably be drunk (I will not be), so how can I humiliate myself? I registered today! I then proceeded to download a playlist that would keep me motivated (it needs tweaking) and then I realized that I actually need to start running...

I did my first run/walk workout today. more on that tomorrow. I need to go build some Lego's.

1 comment:

  1. Good for you, Catie!!! When I decided to seriously start running a few years ago, I couldn't even run a whole mile without stopping. Last year, I completed my first full marathon. I haven't specifically done the C25K program, but I totally prescribe to its run/walk philosophy for building up endurance. Stick with it; you'll do great!!!

    ReplyDelete