12.17.2011

Week 2 Day 2 - And Shoe Shopping.

Week 2 consists of the regular warm up/cool down  with 6 90s run intervals with 120s rests between. this was the second day. I didn't fool with the pause button like I did the first time, so I actually went a shorter distance this time (run details here). Sure didn't feel like it. My feet and my shins were killing me - which led to a lengthy and insightful discussion on proper running shoes on Facebook.

I have been wearing the cross trainers I had just to get started. Yes, I am aware that they are not proper running shoes. I figured it was better than nothing to get me started. After all, I'm still doing more walking than running. Alas, my shoes are beat and I am feeling it. time to bite the bullet on that one. I am COMPLETELY overwhelmed. There are so many brands, styles and colors.

There is a running shop near one of my bridges and I could easily pop in there at lunch, but I have to admit that I am a bit intimidated. I am not a serious runner - and I don't intend to be. I can see why people do it now, but that isn't my goal.. I have no intention of inflicting  anything more than a 5k on my body. I feel like they will blow me off or laugh at me maybe. I know I am a novice but I don't want to be treated like a total loser. Before you protest and say they wouldn't I have to point out that it is in Darien. The people in Dunkin Donuts treat you like that.

So, I went to a few sporting goods stores. I learned a few things.

  1. The sales people may be nice and well intentioned, but they don't know what they are talking about. 
  2. The employees (male and female) will assume that since you are a woman, the most important quality in a running shoe is the color. really? I know I look like a hot mess when I run. The color of my shoes will not help.
  3. Women's running shoes don't come in wide widths. I have heard rumors to the contrary, but I have yet to actually SEE them.
  4. Due to #3, the kind and well meaning sales people will tell you to look at the men's section and then point out that there are more colors available in men's.
Then, I went on Facebook. My running friends came out of the woodwork with fabulous advice. I will hit the highlights here:
  1. DO NOT BUY MEN'S SHOES! That was my initial instinctive reaction. I'm not a man. My body mechanics are VERY different. So glad to have everyone backing that one up for me.
  2. I really do need to suck it up and go to a running store and get fitted for some thing that works for me.
  3. I do not need to buy it there! I can go to DSW and get last years color for less.
  4. Asics might actually make wide widths. Still looking for the proof here...
Once I get the shoes ironed out, I can figure out how to get rid of the cramp in my side that happens at about the 60s mark in each interval. by the time I walk it off, it is time to run again... sigh...

No comments:

Post a Comment