6.18.2008

...because Nicole wants to know....

In an effort to green up the world, what's the one thing you don't want to change?

you know.. this is a tough one. Not much because I am a tree-hugging hippie. I'm cheap thrifty and our society is pretty wasteful (enough with the packaging already!). You all know how I feel about Ethanol and our infrastructure and mass transit systems are inadequate. I use cloth diapers, cloth bags and I LMAO at people who buy bottled water which is - in most cases - not as "clean" as your tap water.

BUT I think what it comes down to it that I don't want us to stop being Americans. Sure, Europe is way ahead of us as far as "going green", but they live another life style. In some ways it is healthier - they walk more and eat "closer to the Earth" (translation - less processed garbage). Americans, however, march to our own drummer. We think outside the box. We still have not lost the "American Dream" - we've just outsourced it to India and China. I don't think we should lose that by trying to be more European. Maybe we can just go easy on the packaging...

Come to think of it, I don't want to give up my big American car. I have no desire to idle on I-95 for 3 hours a day either, but when I go somewhere with the kids, I want room for the giant stroller, a cooler, camp chairs, the diaper bag etc... and oh yeah.. the kids car seats. Which, for those of you out of the loop, just keep getting bigger and bigger. (Extended rear facing is great, but can we make a seat that fits in anything other than a minivan?) I have a tall husband and 3 boys. I'm keeping my SUV - until we trade it in for a bigger (hybrid) one!

While we are on the subject, I feel the need to point out (again) that even though I think we need to clean up after ourselves, I'm getting pretty fed up/bored with the Global Warming hype. So, Nicole - or anyone else- if you still need something to read, check this out. Then you can go tell Al Gore to put that in his pipe and smoke it (just don't inhale!)

1 comment:

  1. Most appreciated. I completely agree. I hope to ranting about this sometime in the future.

    ReplyDelete