6.11.2008

The Ethanol Rant (I warned you!)

There is great debate among the experts (which I am NOT- I'm just opinionated) as to the "net energy" involved in Ethanol production. In other words, does making Ethanol use more energy than it produces. Don't believe me? look here.

Like I said, this isn't my area of expertise, BUT if the net production of energy is that close, then why debate it? more importantly, why use it?

It certainly isn't any more cost effective - even with the price of oil climbing (again). Well, maybe if you are the farmer it is...

Which brings me to my biggest bitch with Ethanol. Our farmers grow acre upon acre upon acre of corn that is completely inedible. With SO many people starving in this country and millions more around the world, wouldn't it make sense to grow food that we can actually eat? People are starving so that we can pay so much more for an inefficient fuel that we can't afford fresh produce... thanks...

How about we just level Iraq and take the oil? what the hell, the rest of the world is accusing us of doing it anyway....

No comments:

Post a Comment