- Jar- 10.5"x5.5"- your choice - I think it will be more fun to see what you all come up with to put in the jars than to try to stick to a theme, so be creative!
- Lid- 1.5"x3"- should read as black
- Background - should read as cream/off white - 4- 1 7/8" squares, 2- 1.5"x2" strips, 2- 1"x11.5" strips, 1- 1.5"x6.5" strip
Step 1: making the jar.
- mark each 1 7/8" square along the diagonal on the wrong side.
- make another mark 1/2" closer to the corner.
- line up a square on each corner
- sew on the lines
- trim the square between the seams and press open.
- you will have created the jar and 4 half-square triangles. I would love it if you could send the HSTs with your blocks. I'd like to use them in the border.
Step 2: Assemble the Lid.
- sew the two 1.5"x2" strips to the "lid" piece
- attach lid to jar.
Step 3: add bacground strips.
- Sew the 1" wide strips to the sides of the jar
- Sew the 1.5"x6.5" strip to the top of the block.
- there is no bottom strip.
- the block should measure 6.5"x12.5" (finished block is 6"x12")
The finished quilt will be rows of the jar blocks with a horizontal only sashing to give the appearance of sitting on a shelf.